Saturday, 8 February 2014

Influences

I have posted on our Facebook group today. I have been researching a few different styles and takes on documentary filmmaking. I have found a site called shortoftheweek.com and it has provided me with some very interesting shorts that could help the rest of the group what I have in mind when thinking of the look of our documentary. 

------------------------------ 




Hey Guys,


I have been going through some documentary shorts and films people have told me about. Here are a few I would love for you guys to watch just a little bit of if you don't have the time for the whole thing. 


Influences

Mr. Christmas
http://www.shortoftheweek.com/2013/12/02/mr-christmas/
lonely man with a cat as a companion who puts up lights for 3 months before Christmas for the joy of others and for himself. It makes him happy to see others happy. Simple cinematography.

Searching for sugar man
An artist committed suicide on the stage. Interesting story. Great landscapes, and visuals, also I love the off hand approach, relaxed and intriguing. You can see and hear passion in people when they talk about this man.

Food inc
On hour or so long moving story about the food corporations in America.


As I am
http://www.shortoftheweek.com/2012/10/10/as-i-am/
beautiful cinematography and a different approach to documentary. A look at the community. No questions asked. You just see and feel.

Everything is incredible
http://www.shortoftheweek.com/2012/09/12/everything-is-incredible/
moving story of an old man that made me tear up. I can see this work for both of the ideas but more so for the saved people because we could see it in action. Whilst when looking at the drawings and things in the gallery we see little action because it is already in the gallery.

A brief history of john baldessari
http://www.shortoftheweek.com/2012/05/16/a-brief-history-of-john-baldessari/
fun short film. Quick and to the point. Good editing and the narrator is awesome.

I am still looking through some things and searching for THE LOOK but I think in-between all of these here you can see where I am coming from. Food INC is probably my favourite documentary of all time and
As I am has amazing visuals that I think we would be able to pull off with the right cameras and light. I will give a further update soon.

Love y'all and have a good watch 

Rose 

------------------------------------







...


I found that it is very important for everyone to know how I want the film to look like as it should be my vision that is realised, filmed and edited the way I want it. The problem that I am facing now is HOW DO I WANT IT TO LOOK AND SOUND? It is very hard at this point to say as we haven't got any definite answers yet, I don't know, never seen the city before so it is hard to tell how much time we will have to film and if we are able to do interview the people we need to interview to make our film look professional. I wan't to convey certain emotions in this film, for example sadness and the happiness of a new beginning. When looking at the documentaries above they have made me feel something whether it was anger at the government while watching FOOD INC or sadness while watching Mr.Christmas when he talks about his dead wife.
There should be a balance and especially in a film which is 5 mins the audience will have to go on a quick journey and we will have to introduce them to each idea/concept very fast but they have to grasp it fully as they won't feel the emotion we want them to feel if they idea isn't explained well.


I hope to do my best but I will need help from the whole crew and full commitment. It will be hard to get everything lined up the way we want it and there will be a very short period of time we will be on 'set' but we have to make the best of what we have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment